Friday, August 8, 2008

A gripe with that dreadful subject

On a day where the world comes together in the greatest of all sports competitions, the Olympics, we have to touch a bit on the one subject I know you hate to hear...cancer.

This past week it was announced that "Married With Children" co-star Christina Applegate is the latest celebrity to be diagnosed with cancer (in this case, breast cancer). You know, it is the most devastating disease anyone can suffer from. One must feel sorry for Applegate and all the other luminaries who has and have suffered from this dreadful disease. Not to mention those who have died from it. I should know, because, and I'm saying this frankly, both my parents passed away from some type of cancer.

I feel even more sorry that there has not been a cure for it. But thank God current technology and science can now give victims at least a chance to survive cancer. I am amazed at the story of sportscaster Robin Roberts (ESPN and ABC) who is surviving her illness. Amazing indeed. But the battle hasn't stopped here. Technology and logic must continue to prevail if cancer is to be beat easily. It will take the know how of certain people with courage and determination if any cure is to be found.

I was watching a PBS documentary not too long ago about this doctor who had cancer but took new experimental therapy using new technology, and so far, at least at last I heard, it is working.

Medical science certainly has changed in the last decade. I wish it could have saved my parents.

Which brings me back to Miss Applegate...Christina, I feel for you. I can only wish that whatever it takes to bring you back to good health will prevail.

Let's not give up the fight against cancer. After all, it is all of our lives that are at stake.

No comments: